Recent Articles

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Saturday 6 February 2016

HISTORICAL ARTIFACT: CLASS AD FROM A TOKYO "CONVERSATION SCHOOL"

When I first came to Tokyo, I ended up earning about three times what I was getting in London, just for sitting around chatting to folks in what was called a "conversation school." This was also a lot more fun than selling cardboard and paper over the phone from an office in London.

There were two parts to the job: class time and conversation lounge. The classes were arranged by level, scheduled, and advertised on a large board, using small notes like this one, which the "instructors" filled in. They were also colour coded for levels. The topics were whatever the instructor wanted to talk about. I had a pretty good following among the students, including some fans I didn't really want, as you can see from the illustration that accompanied this topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages