Recent Articles

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Sunday 2 April 2023

THE INSIDE STORY OF KEANE'S 2006 TRIP TO JAPAN


Back in 2006 I got some pretty weird emails. No, they weren't all from a Nigerian Prince begging me to help him get his money out of the country or someone offering me a revolutionary method of enlarging my penis. One of them was from a music business connection who had unwittingly CCed my email address sending me a conversation discussing the upcoming visit to Japan by the blando Brit alt-rockers KEANE. The band later appeared at Summer Sonic in Tokyo and Osaka, along with Daft Punk, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, The Flaming Lips, etc.

Anyway, omitting the names of those involved in the conversation, here is the email conversation they had arranging the tour. Should give a little insight into the logistics and workings of the music biz.

----------------
PROMOTER GUY IN JAPAN 
 (2nd May)Subject: Keane/contact info/SS06

Dear [Agency Guy] 
Subject: Keane/contact info/SS06
Hope you are well. This year again we are making a contact list for Summer Sonic 06. We will use this so we can contact Artists, and MTV will also contact you and management regarding official filming for Summer Sonic 06. Can you please kindly provide me with the following info at your earliest convenience? (I might have some of this information already, but it will be appreciated just to make sure that my info is correct).

Agent
Agent assistant
Management
Tour manager
Company name
Person's name
Phone#
Fax#
Cell#
Email address

Tell me if you need anything from me in the meantime. 
Best regards, etc.

----------------
PROMOTER GUY IN JAPAN (
14th June): Hello [Tour Manager], Hope you are well. Sorry to stalk you, but need to sort the visa situation out pronto. Can you give me a tracking# please?

Meanwhile, on a totally separate note can I receive the following from you ASAP.

1. Backline list
2. Stage Plot
3. PA input list
4. Endorsement details

Nice to e-meet you.

Would you be able to provide me with the bottom info at your earliest convenience? 
We needed to start making a contact list so MTV could also contact you..
Warm regards, etc

----------------
TOUR MANAGER (15th June)
Subject: Re: Keane/visas  Importance: High
Hello [Promoter] Sorry for the further delay, however it is now almost complete and will go in the next 24 hours. I've had some crew issues. You are not stalking me, however according to your initial package you need our completed info 1 month prior to tour arrival which will be 10 or 11 August for us. As soon as it goes I'll forward you the tracking number. All technical detail can be handled by my production manager [name], copied on this mail. I'll forward our rooming list shortly but work on the premise we need 14 rooms please.
Best. etc.

----------------
PROMOTER GUY IN JAPAN 
 (16th June) Hello [Tour Manager], [Production Manager]
Thank you for your prompt response.
Ok, will be looking out for the visa info.

The deadline you are talking about I believe is the deadline of the invoice?  I’m glad you are aware of that, as that is something which will help a portion of your guarantee become tax exempt.

Regarding flights, it will be best if you could come in on the 10th into Tokyo, since we plan to have all bands production meetings on that day.  Please show me the flight itinerary before booking, so I can make sure it is okay.

Regarding rooms, I have instructed our travel department to hold 14 rooms from the 10th.  Once I get specifics I’ll move forward with this.

Meanwhile, 
[Production Manager], nice to e-meet you.

Can you provide me with production specs please? (backline requirements, PA input list, stage plot, endorsement details). 
I need to forward it to our production manager so he can start advancing production. Looking forward to hearing from you both.

Kind regards, etc

----------------
TOUR MANAGER (20th June): 
 Subject: Re: Keane/visas
FED-EX TRACKING NUMBER: XXXX XXXX XXXX Picked-up Los Angeles today.

----------------
PROMOTER GUY IN JAPAN 
 (22nd June): Hello [
Tour Manager]My office has notified me that the visa info has arrived. We will apply for the bands certificates ASAP. Please let me know if you need something from me in the meantime.
Kind regards, etc

----------------
TOUR MANAGER (22nd June)
 Subject: Re: Keane/visas 
good news, keep me posted...

----------------
PROMOTER GUY IN JAPAN (6th July): 
Subject: RE: Keane/travel and adress/hotels Hello [Tour Manager], Hope you are well. A few questions and comments that I have at this point.

1. Can you please confirm an address and phone # where to send the COE’s? I presume that we will get them by the end of this week, or very early next week.  Please let me know.
2. Flight itinerary. Can you let me know where we are with this?
3. Flight invoice. It has passed the deadline for invoices, which was this Monday. Please let me know where we are with this also. In order for us to finalize the contract, and make sure payment is made on time, we must take care of invoice matters.
4. Rooming list. You have said that you will need 14 rooms, and we have booked them. FYI, although it is subject to change currently you’re hotels are going to be

Tokyo:  Akasaka Prince
Osaka:  Ana Hotel Osaka

Please give us a proper rooming list WITH SMOKING PREFERENCE. 
Sorry for all the questions, but we need to move forward with this so I can make sure you are fully accommodated. Please let me know if you have further questions.

----------------
PROMOTER GUY IN JAPAN (10th July): 
Hi [
Tour Manager], Sorry for all the e-mails, but I gotta follow up. The certificates are sitting in my office waiting to be sent… Please confirm the address and phone # where you would like me to send them. Also, I need you to get back to me with the other info as I have requested. Thanks and regards, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages